Monday, April 09, 2007

Anger is Just Another Feeling

Anger is a natural response that lets us know when we encounter an experience that we believe is unfair or harmful to us. Many people are afraid to express their anger because they allow their anger to control them. When our anger controls us it can lead to rage or fury that often escalates into violence.

Allow yourself some wait time when you become angry to regain control of yourself. Then express yourself with an "I" statement. "I" statements allow you to share your feelings without blaming the other person(s) involved by just stating how you feel or want to respond to the situation. Example:
I believe . . .
I think .. . .
I wish . . .
I would like . . . .

These are all positive ways to share how the issue effects you and how you would like to resolve the problem. It is also a great intervention for social aggressions like gossiping and teasing. To learn these skills you can role play different situations with your family and praise family members when you see them using their new skills.

Anger is a learned behavior and you are in control of your response to others.

Take care,
Gina

No comments: